Pages

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Herbed Flatbread


It's time for more tzatziki (see previous post) seeing as I found a half eaten tub of plain yoghurt in the fridge. Things have been so hectic that I can't even remember what I bought, or opened, it for. How bad is that? I can't even remember last week. Perhaps I should get some more sleep...

The tzatziki is great, but it needs a partner to be awesome and I flipped through the June issue of MSL and came across this flatbread recipe which I thought looked lovely, and sounded like it would match perfectly with my tzatziki. On a side note, I challenged a Greek friend to a tzatziki cook-off because I think mine is so good. I will let you know how that turns out :)

The radishes are called Easter Radishes, and I presume from their pastels shades. They are not so subtle in taste though - these are some of the spiciest radishes I have eaten in a lng time. I wonder if spiciness is related to  freshness, because these radishes were only picked the day before. I bought them from Rainbow Heritage Garden at the Carp Famrers Market.

To be honest, I wasn't everly impressed with these flatbread when they came out of the oven. I mean they looked fantastic, but the texture was off. So I tried one the next day, and it was more cracker-like, and I devoured a couple more. I think they would keep well for up to a week in a sealed airtight container.

Herbed Flatbread
From MSL June 2010 issue

1 cup warm water
1 teaspoon active dry yeasr
3 cups flour, plus extra for hands
2 tablespoons olive oil
coarse salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1 large egg, whisked with 1 tablespoon water, for egg wash
salt for sprinkling (I used Murray River Pink Salt)
1/4 cup fresh rosemary

Place water in a medium bowl; sprinkle with yeast. Let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes. Stir in flour, oil, 2 teaspoons coarse salt, and the sugar. Stir until dough forms.



Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface; knead with floured hands until smooth, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a lightly oiled bowl, and cover with plastic wrap. Let dough stand in a warm, draft-free place until it doubles in volume, about 1 hour.


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Divide dough into 16 equal pieces; cover with plastic wrap. Roll out 1 piece to roughly 4 by 10 inches on a lightly floured surface; transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Brush with egg wash; sprinkle with sea salt and herbs. Repeat with remaining dough, arranging 4 pieces per sheet.


Bake, rotating sheets halfway through, until crisp and golden, 18 to 22 minutes. Let cool on sheets on a wire rack.
 
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment