Pages

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Jelly Slice




This is a total throw back to my growing-up years. The recipe for jelly slice came from my Aunty Carol, and she used to make it for us kids when we visited. I am sure it came from one of those Womens Country Association Cookbooks, or something along those lines. It is so easy to make this - you don't even need to turn on the oven or stove. The most you need to do is boil the kettle, and I am sure pretty much everyone can do that.

I have to admit, I don't remember the last time I even ate this, although I have had the raspberry jelly in my pantry for a while just waiting for the opportunity to make it. One of my Facebook friends posted a picture of one she had made for a baby shower, and I thought that it was about time.

I love the simplicity of the clean lines, just remember to use a hot knife (run it under the hot tap and wipe dry with a clean kitchen towel) for each slice.

Your kids will love it, and it looks great, if not a little kitsch, if you layer green and red jelly at Christmas time!

Jelly Slice
Makes one 8x8 pan

Base:
1 package plain tea cookies (Marie Biscuits in Australia), crushed
6oz unsalted butter, melted

Combine crushed cookies with melted butter in a large bowl. Press firmly into an 8x8 square tin. Set aside. 

Middle:
1 can sweetened condensed milk
juice from 2 lemons
3 teaspoons gelatine dissolved in 1/4 cup boiling water

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl, mix well. Pour over cookie base and shake gently to ensure it is evenly spread. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Top:
1 package raspberry jelly
200ml boiling water
200ml cold water

Mix jelly with boiling water until dissolved, mix in cold water and pour gently over middle layer. Refrigerate until set, at least for 2-3 hours, or overnight.

Enjoy!

2 comments: