Pages

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Carrot Apple Slaw


Well, the heat has been incredible lately. This is summer, and this is what we wait for all year. I love it, I love it, I love it. I also love my air conditioner, my barbecue and the splash pad for my kids. And, on a day like today there is no reason whatsoever to heat the inside of my kitchen more than it already is.

I wasn't exactly sure what to make today. It was too hot to get to the store so I had to figure out what to do with everything that was left in the bottom of my fridge. It's not bad by any means, it's just that it's leftover from the weekend - bits of this, ends of that, half eaten pieces here, wrapped up ends there...you get the picture.

Part of my kitchen philosophy is to never waste food, and I seem to be doing quite a lot of that lately. I am too tired (twins are almost 6 months old, which means that it's 6 months I haven't slept a whole night through - but that's another story), I forget what I have, I am too lazy to look, but basically when I cook these days, it needs to be quick. I don't have much of the luxury of time these days, so the quicker I can prepare and cook a meal, the better. Hence, not much thought goes into the lunch or dinner process these days.

Well, I want to change that. I want to enjoy cooking again. It has been way too long to have to do something, rather than want to do something, if you know what I mean.

So, in my fridge, leftover from the last expedition to the grocery store (if you see someone struggling with infant twins and a very independent 2 year old, that's  me!) I had apples and carrots, and a couple of green onions. There was some broccoli and cauliflower too, mushrooms that should have been cooked at least 4 days ago and a couple of lemons. Carrot slaw was entering my mind, carrots and apples, maybe some dried cranberries for sweetness. I was thinking of a carrot and raisin salad, but I detest raisins, so something similar would work, why not cranberries?

The end result is a tart, tangy and suprisingly refreshing shredded slaw. Yum, and yum. It was so good, you know exactly what I am having for lunch tomorrow.

Carrot Apple Slaw
Makes enough for 6 servings.

6 carrots, peeled (or 2 bags matchstick carrots from grocery stores)
2 gala apples, or any sweet eating apple, not peeled
3 green onions, green and white parts, chopped
juice from 1 lemon
1/2 cup dried cranberries
3 tablespoons canola oil
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 tablespoon honey
salt & pepper

Julienne the carrots and apples. I used my mandolin with the 2mm cutting blade, but you could cut by hand, or cheat and purchase the matchstick carrots at the grocery store.
Add green onions and quickly add the lemon juice. Mix well, but gently, to ensure the lemon juice is stirred through. This will help to prevent the browning of the apple.
Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Add salt and pepper to taste. You might want to add a little more honey if you find the dressing too tart. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve - the longer you let everything meld together,the better it will taste.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment