Pages

Saturday, March 20, 2010

The best Garlic Bread - ever!

There's a new baker in town and I am in love with their bread. Oh my GOD - it's GOOD! I can't even begin to describe my love affair with great bread. I have been known to drive all the way across town to pick up an Art-is-In baguette, and just have a taste on my way home in the car, and serioulsy, by the time I get home, it's gone. Now I buy two!
The same goes for driving through Kingston, I will always detour to Pan Chancho and buy multiple $6 loaves of bread. My poor husband is in disbelief every time we go that way that we have to stop, and that I'll pay so much just for bread. I think he secretly hopes that two hours into our drive I will be asleep just so we don't have to stop.
But, Art-is-In is not the new bakery I'm talking about, I am talking about fabulous bread baked here in Ottawa and delivered to hotels, restaurants and yes, the Produce Depot. It is just as good as Art-is-In, and I feel kind of sorry that there is such good competition out there for Keith Mathieson, but it's great for people like me who just cannot get enough great bread. You know, now that I think about it, I have no idea what this new baker calls himself. I will find out and let you know.
Obviously, I'd do no good on the no-carb lifestyle! So, just to top it all off, here is my recipe for killer garlic bread.

Enjoy!

Garlic Bread
makes enough butter for one baguette, split lengthwise and spread on both sides

1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened, at room temperature
1/4 cup mayonnaise (yes, I said mayonnaise - I like Hellman's, and the full fat variety please)
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
4 cloves fresh garlic, minced
1 baguette

Mix it all together in a small bowl, excpet the bread, of course. It's important to have the butter at room temperature otherwise it won't mix in nicely with the mayonnaise. Trust me, I didn't think it would work either, but when you run out of butter.....you always have mayo :)

Cut bread in half lengthwise and spread cut sides generously with the garlic butter. Heat broiler and cook, buttered side up on a baking sheet, for 3-4 minutes until the bread is all golden and bubbling and smelling delicious.

You can keep the butter, wrapped tightly, in the refrigerator for a couple of weeks.

That's it! Super simple and sooooooooo delicious. And, yes, I could eat the whole loaf, without a doubt :)

No comments:

Post a Comment