Pages

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Brassica-phobic?

So, it turns out my husband hates all members of the Brassicaceae family, except broccoli and the occasional piece of cauliflower if it's well smothered in cheese sauce, with Cheese Whiz being the sauce of choice. Oh, and the coleslaw that you can find in the square 1lb tubs. Such a gourmand!

I love the cabbage family and can't understand why he doesn't like them. Perhaps he didn't get a chance to eat them much growing up (which probably explains my mental aversion to seafood), perhaps he just doesn't like green vegetables, who knows, but it is my New Year Resolution to make him like them!

Brussels sprouts seemed like an obvious first choice - I mean, really, where do you start? It has to be something, and they were in the market this week, so here they are.

I started out thinking I was going to make a bubble and squeak kind of dish, but as I made the base for it, I thought this could be a great side-dish all on its own. It is gorgeous and bright green, crispy smoked bacon and a hint of garlic with a squeeze of lemon - delightful!

Brussels Sprouts Hash
makes enough for 6-8 as a side dish

4 slices bacon, chopped fine
1 medium onion, 1/4" dice
1 clove garlic, minced
400g Brussels sprouts, thinly sliced
salt & pepper
1-2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

Heat skillet and add bacon. Cook, stirring, until the fat has started to render. Add the onion and cook until translucent, and just turning golden. Mix in the garlic and cook until fragrant.

Add sliced Brussels sprouts and cook until softened and bright green in colour. Be careful cooking here, you don't want to overcook them or they will begin to turn brown-ish and dull.

Remove from heat, season well with salt and pepper, and mix through lemon juice. If you make this in advance, I would wait until serving before adding the lemon juice, as acid has a habit of turning green vegetables brown.


So delicious and so so easy!


And then, I made my bubble & squeak.

I made mashed potatoes from 1kg russet potatoes and just mixed in the Brussels sprouts mixture from above. I formed the bubble and squeak into 8 patties, dredged them in flour and then shallow fried them until golden on both sides.

And, my husband said he loved it, which I'm never really sure if it's true or not, because he would say he loved anything I cooked - and there have been some disasters!

No comments:

Post a Comment